Have you ever wanted to write a children’s book? Or self-publish your own book? Or create your own publishing house?
On the show today is joining us the amazing wife and mama of 3 – Maria Dismondy! An elementary school teacher turned children’s author!
Maria is the author of many ADORABLE children’s books and I’m SO excited to talk about her journey, the ins-and-outs of self-publishing, team building, and of course – how to balance marriage, motherhood, and entrepreneurship! Enjoy and please share this with a friend!
In This Episode, Maria and I talked about:
- The importance of finding a need in the niche you want to pursue
- An interesting perspective on published vs. self-published books
- How to write a book and the process Maria has
- Actual numbers – how much it costs to hire an illustrator
- Hiring on UpWork vs. through an agency
- Starting your own book publishing company
- How to get into TV
- How to find a distributor and a printing company
Quotes and Takeaways
- “There has to be a need for what you are writing.” Maria Dismondy
- “As a mom of two, you write your book on the back of a Target receipt while you are waiting for a Dr. appointment.” – Maria Dismondy
- “I’m going very slow and there are days that I feel as though I wanna just hit the ground running but I also have 3 children and I know that I can pick up the speed at some point but I want to go slowly for now because I’m really trying to keep a healthy balance in my life.” – Maria Dismondy
- “If I have something really important that I want to share and I don’t hear back from someone, I’ll reach out to them in a few more weeks.” – Maria Dismondy
- “What is a hot topic in the news right now and how can you connect that to your book?” – Maria Dismondy
Links and Resources Mentioned
- The Jelly Donut Difference – Maria’s latest book! My kids loved it!
- Advocate Art – an agency Maria works with that helps her find an illustrator
- Google Docs – online word document and spreadsheets – I USE THIS DAILY!
- Scrivner – a book writing software that helps you organize your thoughts, ideas, and chapters.
- Asana – a task management software Maria and her team use
- Worzalla – book printing company Maria uses to print her books!
- IPG – the book distributor Maria uses
- DayDesigner – the daily planner Maria uses
- Power Sheets – journaling and planning worksheets
- ConvertKit – the email marketing platform that I use and absolutely love!
- Mompreneur Show on iTunes!
Connect with us on Social Media!
Connect with Maria!
Connect with Vicky
Thank You to our Sponsors!
A special thank you to the following companies that make this show possible! As you know, it takes a lot of time, effort, and resources to put on a weekly live show and I’m so thankful to these companies that make it possible! If you click on the links below and purchase and/or get their free product – it helps all three of us! It helps you because I only recommend products and services that I use and love! It helps me because the show is getting financed. And it helps the companies because they’re getting the best customers and clients in the whole entire world – listeners like you! Thank you!
Made On – An all natural brand of hard lotion, lip balms, and many other skin care products wich I absolutely LOVE! Get $5 off your purchase by using the code: Vicky
Did you enjoy the show?
If you enjoyed the show, let us know by leaving a review on iTunes!
Want to Avoid the Mistakes I've Made?
I've compiled the 5 biggest mistakes I made in my mompreneurial journey in hopes to help you avoid them.