I met this incredible woman in early August of 2016 at the Becoming Conference in Asheville, NC. I’m telling you – EVERYTHING happens for a reason. I wasn’t even suppose to attend that conference – but everything aligned and my dear husband encouraged me to go.
After a few minutes of chatting with her – she noticed I had a slight accent that wasn’t from around here. She asked me about it and after I told her that I was born in Ukraine – she lit up like the morning sun! (the best comparison I can come up with) I was surprised to see her reaction and after a passionate conversation – I was blown away by this woman’s courage, passion, and the love she has for my people.
But that’s not why I invited her on the show – you see – Kelli had a dream of becoming an author. After many obstacles, after having her babies, after many many no’s and a decade later – her dream came true and her book “Like a River From it’s Course” arrived into the world.
Here’s a note I got from one of the listeners: (besides all the amazing comments on our Facebook Live Video).
“I loved your show from yesterday!!! By far my favorite!! My dream is to write a book one day!!!!” – Roza
Oh, and I did not add any explanation points 😁
Enjoy the show, dear! ❤️
In This Episode, Kelli and I talked about:
- How Kelli fell in love with Ukraine and writing
- Making peace with your decisions in life
- How to get over comparison especially when you’re in the “waiting” period
- Persistence in dreaming
- Letting your children see you chase after your dream, even if it takes a long time
- The importance of having your spouse’s support
Quotes and Takeaways
- “When I’m with my kids I’m with my kids.” – Kelli Stuart
- “It’s so important to bring our husbands into this part of us… Even if they don’t understand… And ask their advice… There’s are ways that let him be involved… Let him be part of the journey…”
- “Every time I got a rejection letter, I put it into a folder and told myself that’s one more no that’s leading me to a yes” – Kelly Stuart
- “Your kids need to see that you’re willing to persevere for your dreams” – Kelli Stuart
- “I want my kids to see that I’m not going to sacrifice them for my dreams” – Kelli Stuart
- “I know when it’s time to put my art aside and focus on my kids.” – Kelli Stuart
- “I can tell my kids kids “Mommy’s working right now, you need to do something else” and I don’t need to feel guilty about that” – Kelli Stuart
Links and Resources Mentioned
Kelli’s Book – the beautiful novel that Kelli wrote. A portion of the proceeds from Like a River From Its Course are being donated to World Hope Canada’s mission in Ukraine. Hope House Ukraine is a home for girls who have aged out of the orphan system. It provides further education, life skills training, and biblical discipleship so that these girls can beat their circumstances. So please know that when you buy this book, your money is going to a great cause in which I fully believe! To learn more about this ministry of World Hope Canada, visit their website: http://worldhope.ca/projects/ukraine/hope-house-i-ii/
Thank You so Much for Watching!
Thanks so much for joining us again this week! If you joined us LIVE – thank you so much! It’s always such a treat to see you in the comments and answer your questions!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
A huge thank you to sweet Kelli for joining us this week.
See you LIVE next Monday at 10am Pacific, 1pm Eastern!
What do you think? As a mother – should you continue to pursue your dreams? Please share with us in the comments below!
Want to Avoid the Mistakes I've Made?
I've compiled the 5 biggest mistakes I made in my mompreneurial journey in hopes to help you avoid them.